It’s no doubt the Sugar Wharf is one of Port Douglas’s most sought after venue’s. Close to town, just behind St Mary’s by the Sea and looking out towards the sunset – there is lots going for it. As such the Sugar Wharf can be heavily booked in advance. If you are considering a wedding at this iconic venue, here are a few things to consider:
Where is the Port Douglas Sugar Wharf? (click to launch google maps)
How many guests can I have on the Wharf?
Stand up, up to 300
Sit down, 200 outside, 160 inside (these numbers are maximum capacity!)
With clever draping the Wharf can still be an incredible venue for 30 people, so don’t rule it out for more intimate gatherings.
The Wharf can be booked through the Douglas Shire Council 07 40999444
The cost of hiring the Sugar Wharf is $1560 per day.
It is a popular venue for weddings and other events and is often heavily booked. If your guests are here all week, why not choose a weeknight?
What time does my reception have to finish?
10:30 pm – this can usually be stretched to 11pm.
Info below courtesy of Port Douglas Council:
- The building is heritage-listed.
- The venue can accommodate 120 on the deck and 200 inside (depending on setup).
- Chairs and tables are not included in the venue hire.
- There is no air-conditioning in the building, however, there are fans.
- There is a track lighting system and an art display hanging facilities on the walls.
- As the Sugar Wharf is a timber structure, all cooking must be done on the concrete area. Most catering companies are aware of this restriction and are able to accommodate with this set-up.
- Due to its location on the Port Douglas waterfront, there are noise restrictions in place.
- Entry to the Sugar Wharf is generally level with concrete, timber flooring, and decking.
- There is no operational kitchen, only a room with a sink and a small bench.
- There are two toilets in the building so it is advisable for large events to utilise the public toilets close by.
- One of the toilets within Sugar Wharf is wheelchair accessible.